We conduct fire tests according to International Maritime Organization (IMO) test methods. Our expertise, facilities and equipment fulfils the requirements set out in the IMO test procedures. In addition, we actively participate in the development work of IMO test methods to assure up to date services.
IMO MSC/Circ.848 is in the scope of accreditation of VTT Expert Services Ltd.
The test procedure describes a fire test method for evaluating the extinguishing effectiveness of fixed gas fire-extinguishing systems for protection of machinery spaces of category A and cargo pump-rooms.
The test programme has two objectives
- Establishing the extinguishing effectiveness of a given agent at its tested concentration
- Establishing that the particular agent distribution system puts the agent into the enclosure in such a way as to fully flood the volume to achieve an extinguishing concentration at all points
Essentially the test procedure consists of following items
- Minimum of 500 m3 test compartment with engine mock-up and floor plate system
- Alternatively nine different fire test scenarios or four different fire test scenario combinations
- Main fire loads are light diesel oil, heptane and wood crib
- Different acceptance criteria depending of test scenario
Other test methods for extinguishing systems: