We conduct fire tests according to International Maritime Organization (IMO) test methods. Our expertise, facilities and equipment fulfils the requirements set out in the IMO test procedures.
Read more: Extinguishing systems for ships
In addition, we actively participate in the development work of IMO test methods to assure up to date services.
IMO MSC/Circ.848 is in the scope of accreditation of VTT Expert Services Ltd.
The test procedure describes a fire test method for evaluating the extinguishing effectiveness of fixed gas fire-extinguishing systems for protection of machinery spaces of category A and cargo pump-rooms.
The test programme has two objectives
- Establishing the extinguishing effectiveness of a given agent at its tested concentration
- Establishing that the particular agent distribution system puts the agent into the enclosure in such a way as to fully flood the volume to achieve an extinguishing concentration at all points
Essentially the test procedure consists of following items
- Minimum of 500 m3 test compartment with engine mock-up and floor plate system
- Alternatively nine different fire test scenarios or four different fire test scenario combinations
- Main fire loads are light diesel oil, heptane and wood crib
- Different acceptance criteria depending of test scenario
Other test methods for extinguishing systems: