We conduct fire tests according to International Maritime Organization (IMO) test methods. Our expertise, facilities and equipment fulfils the requirements set out in the IMO test procedures.
In addition, we actively participate in the development work of IMO test methods to assure up to date services.
Read more: Extinguishing systems for ships
IMO MSC/Circ.1165 is in the scope of accreditation of VTT Expert Services Ltd.
The test procedure describes a fire test method for evaluating the extinguishing effectiveness of water-based total flooding fire-extinguishing systems for the protection of engine-rooms of category A and cargo pump-rooms.
Essentially the test procedure consists of following items
- Minimum of 500 m3 test compartment with engine mock-up and floor plate system
- Eight different fire test scenarios consisting of spray fires, pool fires, cascade fires, class A fire, and thermal management fire test
- Test programme for bilge systems
- Main fire loads are light diesel oil, heptane and wood crib
- Acceptance criteria are based on extinguishment of fires within 15 minutes of system activation. However, in thermal management test acceptance criteria is based on temperature measurements
Other test methods for extinguishing systems: