Our services include fire safety testing and approvals for materials and components used in ships. As our customer you can benefit from our services during the product development and we help you to plan the testing for approval.
Fire safety requirements in ships
Regulations relating to the fire safety of ships are provided in Chapter II-2 of SOLAS. Fire test procedures are presented in Fire Test Procedure Code of International Maritime Organisation (IMO 2010 FTPC) (IMO Resolution MSC.307(88)).
Our services include testing of flame spreading properties, smoke production, non-combustibility, fire safety of curtain materials, upholstered furniture and bedding components.
Our services of fire testing for materials and components used in ships
- Non-combustibility IMO 2010 FTCP Part 1
- Smoke and toxicity of surface materials IMO 2010 FTCP Part 2
- Surface flammability of surface materials IMO 2010 FTCP Part 5
- Ignitability of curtains IMO 2010 FTCP Part 7
- Ignitability of upholstered furniture IMO 2010 FTCP Part 8
- Ignitability of bedding components and mattresses IMO 2010 FTCP Part 9
- Measuring heat release and smoke production with cone calorimeter ISO 5660
We help you to plan the fire tests needed for approval
Wheelmark (CE mark) for materials and components in ships
In Europe, materials and components covered by the Marine Equipment Directive 96/98/EC and must be affixed with Wheelmark and number of the Notified Body. The Directive requires that a product is tested and type approved.
VTT Expert Services Ltd is a Notified Body for Marine Equipment Directive, the European Commission has notified us for approval of products in accordance with the directive.
Read more about the certification procedure for Wheelmark
United States Coast Guard (USCG) and Russian Maritime Register of Shipping (RMRS) have accepted and recognized us as an independent testing laboratory for certain test protocols set forth in the FTP and FSS Codes (2010).