In our Vakola facility in Vihti, we measure the operator exposure to noise, environmental noise and vibrations transmitted by the machinery to the hand-arm system or to the whole body. Noise and vibration measurements can also be performed elsewhere provided that the location fulfils the environmental condition requirements.
Noise is usually measured using a standardised methodology. We have accreditation for all key noise measurement methods we use. VTT Expert Services Oy is also a notified body in accordance with the Outdoor Noise Directive.
Pursuant to the Outdoor Noise Directive (2000/14/EC), noise emission in the environment by equipment for use outdoors must be measured and reported. The Outdoor Noise Directive only applies to machinery and tools specified in the directive.
The Vakola facility has test tracks for measuring machinery vibration and swaying.
Pursuant to the EU Machinery Directive, the machinery manufacturer must give the following information in the instructions for use:
- Vibrations transmitted by the machinery to the hand-arm system or to the whole body.
- Operator exposure to noise.
- Emission of environmental noise.
This requirement applies to all machinery, including agricultural machinery.
The instructions for use must give the following information:
- The A-weighted emission sound pressure level at workstations, where this exceeds 70 dB(A). Where this pressure level does not exceed 70 dB(A), the following mention suffices: sound pressure level at workstation does not exceed 70 dB(A).
- The peak C-weighted instantaneous sound pressure value at workstations, where this exceeds 130 dB.
- The A-weighted sound pressure level emitted by the machinery at workstations, where this exceeds 85 dB(A).
- The acceleration measured from the handles of manually-operated machinery to which the hand-arm system is subjected, where it exceeds 2.5 m/s2. Where this value does not exceed 2.5 m/s2, this must be mentioned.
- The acceleration value for vibration where the whole body is subjected to vibration transmitted by the machinery if the value exceeds 0.5 m/s2. Where this value does not exceed 0,5 m/s2, this must be mentioned.